So, who noticed the deliberate* mistake in the plans? Well if you did, write to me to claim your prize!
After adhering print-outs of the plans to the spoons, I cut out spoon one (as laid out pre-assembly above, with spoon two similarly arranged below it) and then drilled and began to cut into spoon two. And in the second round of saw-peircing, I noticed that the circuit that I was seperating from the main body of the spoon had no holes marked on the drawing, and therefore no holes drilled through the piece. By then it should have had both. So I got out the old texta, marked eight appropriate spots, and went back to the drill press.
*deliberate = complete, absent-minded omission
(Don’t blame me if you’re now singing the melody to the above; you’re equally culpable.)
Call off the hounds, I have secured a studio!
No pics, yet, but it’s in St Kilda in an old house which has been converted into artist studios. It’s not the Oak St premises that I had been waiting on, but it’s closer, bigger and has the added bonus that I don’t have to cart a bunch of heavy equipment up stairs. Speaking of which, I finally got my drill press this week too. I know, isn’t that a load off everyone’s mind?
Week two: still no studio! This is going slower than even I expected (not because I’m a pessimist mind, mostly because I’m a slow… well, lets say deliberate, decision maker). The space is getting closer to being fully signed off – but it’s currently still under construction.
I would have had a drill press by now, but after waiting a week for it to come in stock, the one that had been delivered to the store was faulty. Next week it will be mine…
The workbench store (mentioned last week) turned out not to do the sort of custom work I’m after, so despite drawing plans over the weekend I haven’t been able to send them off to get a quote just yet. Luckily, a hint from another maker (thanks Candice, wherever you are) has netted another economical workbench manufacturer.
The biggest time burner in the last day or so has been the sand blaster or ‘abrasive blast cabinet’. Once again, the internet was my friend, but to get beyond the superficial some serious investigation was necessary. The reviews I’ve seen of the cheaper models, which are seemingly available everywhere at the moment, say that they leak media and the internal fluoro light and dust extraction are both a bit iffy. Finding a better product sees the price jump from a range of $200-$900 to over $3k. (Burwell, Pan Abrasives, ABSS, Blastmaster all have models in a similar price range) That’s not in my budget, suffice to say. Tomorrow I’ll take the long drive to Dandenong to check out a couple in the flesh.